The Tourist Police was created on June 17, 1975, operating as a dependency of the National Police, called Inspectoria, with a total of 20 members and its main seat at Las Vegas International Airport. Americas. On October 25, 1994, the then Chief of Police elevated it to a Department.
Through Decree 1301-00 of December 21, 2000, the General Directorate of the Tourism Police “POLITUR” is created, which will work in coordination with the Ministry of Tourism, the Armed Forces, as well as the General Directorate of the National Police, and being made up of members of the Military Institutes and the National Police.
According to the Organic Law of the Armed Forces, number 139 -13 dated September 13, 2013, the Specialized Body for Tourist Security (CESTUR) is created, under the direct dependence of the Ministry of Defense, due to the strategic nature that it represents for the Security and Defense of the Nation.
Subsequently, the Organic Law of the National Police, Law No.590-16, establishes POLITUR within the Central Directorate of Prevention as one of the specialized police forces:
1) Metropolitan Transportation Authority (AMET);
2) Central Directorate of Tourism Police (POLITUR);
3) Dignitary Protection Police;
4) Judicial Protection Police;
5) Children and Adolescents Police;
6) Anti-gang Police;
7) School Police; and
8) Any other determined by the President of the Republic at the suggestion of the Superior Police Council, via the Ministry of the Interior and Police.
Origin and Evolution
The Central Directorate of Tourism Police was created on June 17, 1975, as a Tourism Inspectorate of the National Police and with its main seat at the Las Américas International Airport.
Through Decree 1301-00, CESTUR, formerly called POLITUR, is created to work in coordination with the Ministry of Tourism, the Armed Forces and the National Police.
According to the Organic Law of the Armed Forces 139-13 dated 2013, the Specialized Body for Tourist Security (CESTUR) is established under the direct dependency of the Ministry of Defense by nature strategy that tourism represents for the development of the Nation.
Institutional Legal Basis
- Decree 1301-00 dated December 21, 2000.
- Organic Law of the Armed Forces 139-13 dated September 13, 2013.
- Organic Law of the National Police 590-16 dated July 15, 2016.